ELECTRIC SHOCK can kill you.
Do not touch live electrical parts.
Electric shock can be avoided. Follow
the recommended practices listed below. Faulty installation, improper
grounding, and incorrect operation and
maintenance of electrical equipment are always sources of danger.
1. Ground all electrical equipment and
the workpiece. Prevent accidental electrical
shocks. Connect power
source, control cabinets, and workpiece to an approved electrical ground. The
work lead is not a ground
lead. It is used to complete the welding circuit. A separate connection is required
to ground the work (illustrated
on p. 5); or the work lead terminal on the power source may be connected to ground.
Do not mistake
the work lead for a ground connection. 2.
Use the correct cable size. Sustained
overloading will cause cable failure and result in possible
electrical shock or fire hazard. Work
cable should be the same rating as the torch cable. 3.
Make sure all electrical connections are tight, clean, and dry.
Poor electrical connections can heat up,
and even melt. They can also cause
bad welds and produce dangerous arcs and sparks. Do not allow
water, grease, or dirt to accumulate
on plugs, sockets, or electrical units. 4.
Keep dry. Moisture and water can conduct
electricity. To prevent shock, it is advisable to keep work
areas, equipment, and clothing dry
at all times. Fix water leaks immediately. Make sure that you are well
insulated. Wear dry gloves, rubber-soled
shoes, or stand on a dry board or platform. 5.
Keep cables and connectors in good condition. Improper
or worn electrical connections can cause short
circuits and can increase the chance of an electrical shock. Do not use worn,
damaged, or bare cables.
6. Avoid open-circuit voltage.
Open-circuit voltage can cause electric shock. When several
welders are working
with arcs of different polarities, or when using multiple alternating-current
machines, the open-circuit voltages
can be additive. The added voltages increase the severity of the shock hazard.
Continued on next page...